Pages

Saturday 10 September 2011

Twin Bananas

Behold the twin bananas that I discovered today whilst making a batch of banana and date chutney! I've photographed them next to a standard banana but they were totally smooth on each side.  They were hiding underneath a small bunch of individual bananas and I gasped as I saw them and turned them over and around, looking at them from all their angles.  The twin hemispheres of my brain were working rather fast but they were slightly confused until they determined, yes - it was a banana but as my hands prodded them I could feel two distinct bananas, twin bananas under one peel.  If they were a hardier fruit I might have thought about keeping them around a bit longer but I'm funny about my bananas, twins or no twins, and these two were already teetering on the wrong edge of how I like to eat and/or use them for my banana & date chutney.  I was obviously wondering if they are a rare or common phenomenon and was planning to take to Twitter to find out but thought I would need photographic evidence.  Had I not lost my camera last month I would have made a video...but please do not get me started on that or the fact that I also lost my Smy Chutney notebook in the same evening, alas, it could have been worse.  But back to the twins, I felt like little Phoebe here and eerily had an almost identical conversation to the one that she has below:


There are lots of images of other twin bananas and even a query on yahoo asking, "Will a pregnant mother give birth to twins if she eats twin bananas? If she splits them behind her back, will she still have twins? Please include research. :)" I do not think this blog constitutes research for or against twin bananas having the power to banana split an embryo into twins, I would think that research is not actually necessary so moving on.

Here are my twin bananas sans peel, just before they were chopped up and sacrificed to a batch of banana and date chutney and as @EllieBry stated, "it was a sacrifice any decent banana would make."

I salute you twin bananas, thank you for the memories and I look forward to spreading you on ham and cheese sandwiches.

 and remember:


No comments:

Post a Comment