Pages

Monday 21 November 2011

Alison Pearson's Sausages with Apple & Pepper Chutney Recipe


 
My amazing and dear friend Alison Pearson kindly gave me a massive bag of bramley apples a few months ago that she had collected from her mother-in-law's garden.  From the apples I made a lovely Apple and Pepper Chutney with pink peppercorns and a secret ingredient - Smy Chutney six-pepper jelly.  The resulting chutney proved really tasty and became a popular seller at Whitecross Street Market with the apples, pink peppercorns and six-pepper jelly combining to create a lovely crisp chutney with just a tad of background heat.  I gave Alison several jars to enjoy with her family and to give to her mother-in-law.  Alison and I used to work together and it was one of, if not the best working relationships that I have ever had.  I love Alison and totally respect everything about her; she is so professional, creative and family oriented and has been such a good friend to me the entire time I've known her.  My last gush is that she also has an utterly wicked sense of humour. 

Cooking and mealtimes are a total family affair at the Pearson residence and Alison rang me to tell me that everyone was really enjoying the chutney and she gave me the following recipe that her family had created using the apple and pepper chutney.  It sounded so lovely that I had to try it right away and I have since made it several times and wanted to share it here.  It couldn't be easier, couldn't be tastier and is perfect for chilly autumnal evenings.


You simply grill sausages in a bit of olive oil for 15 minutes or until they are nicely browned and then transfer them to a tray lined with a large piece of aluminium.


Using the pan that you cooked your sausages in, add a little more olive oil, heat it and add sliced brampley or cooking apples, a sliced onion and lightly grill for a few minutes until they have a nice colour.


Add the grilled sausages back into the pan and grill all together for a minute or two.


Transfer the sausages, onion and apple back to the aluminium foil and place two big tablespoons worth of apple and pepper chutney on top.  For an extra kick you could add a bit of six-pepper jelly as well.  Fold the aluminium to create a sealed parcel and place in an oven preheated to 180 ℃ for 15-20 minutes.  Remove the tray from the oven and carefully open the parcel.  Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and peas or broccoli, delicious!

Thanks again Alison for the apples and inspiration!

and remember...
it's not your chutney...
it's Smy Chutney.

please follow us on facebook and twitter

and if you haven't seen it already, here's a little video made by Emma Crouch about Smy Chutney:





No comments:

Post a Comment